Thursday, March 24, 2011

The older men in my life... Happy Birthday Boys!


Two big events this past week.  Troy turned 40 on the 19th and on the 21st Cole turned 11.  My men are getting older. Trust me when I tell you that one day apart in birthdays is not the only way that they are similar.


They both have these amazing blue eyes, blonde hair (Troy's was when he was little) and strong jaw lines and when they smile they melt my heart and brighten a room.





Both my men have this amazing gift to be able to fix ANYTHING you hand them. They will tear it apart, put it back and sometimes you have all of the parts put back. Sometimes... but it always works.  When Cole turned three, I noticed, he began taking things from me and saying, "I'll fix it mama." Now he just looks at me and sighs and says "hand it over..." and he fixes whatever I need.  Troy in his old age fixes things I don't always want fixed, and didn't think were broken.

Both my men have a giving and protective heart.  Both willingly volunteer to help at the local homeless shelter, Cole and Troy delivered food and toys at Christmas. Cole is always helping with our local Rotary projects. Cole jumped at the chance to serve hot chocolate to the community for Polio relief.  Cole is usually the first one to grab Shelby if she is hurt. He comforts her, holds her and kisses her until mom/dad/nana/papaw can get there.  He told Shelby that if some boy picked on her at the gym that her bubba would handle it. He and daddy stand in line to tuck the princess in at night.
I so hope she never has to learn that all men aren't that wonderful. 

Both my men are stubborn to the core.  They will argue and argue.... sometimes it's just easier to know secretly I am right. It's been fun to watch as Cole gets older, he begins to win the arguments with his daddy, because he thinks like his daddy! It must be hard to argue with a little version of yourself.


While Cole was pretty excited about turning 11, Troy was less than excited about turning 40.


In celebration, we packed in lots of party into one small weekend.  Friday night we went out with our close friends to a wonderful German restaurant. We proceeded to help Troy forget that turning 40 was a bad thing. By the time he played tambourine with the band, I think he had forgotten he was 40! Troy is typically our designated driver, and I can't remember the last time he cut loose, so this was truly a rare occasion and I am sure now he is glad it is rare!


Yeah, this isn't his usual look.
  
Needless to say, he has never before been on stage before. The rest of us girls loved it!

Cole celebrated the following day with a Lego/Nerf party at home.  The boys enjoyed putting together lego kits that Cole had pre-made. They also played Nerf Wars and flew kites.  All very non-electronic, which wasn't really planned that way, but the boys had a great time.




My nephew Jake. We do grow handsome men in the Hoffman family!


Sunday, after church, we went to the brick world Lego convention downtown and Cole was able to mingle with those like him. WOW are those little pieces of plastic expensive! We stopped at a chocolate shop and enjoyed a beautiful Spring day in Indy.

I don't even want to know how much this would cost, or how much time it took to put together!

Love the little Lego Colts! Go Horse!

Yum! Hot Chocolate!




1 comment:

lorabelle said...

I know that I'm late to comment but we've been fighting the sickies over here and my blogging seems to have come to a hault. Trying to play catchup this week! We really enjoyed both Birthday celebrations. Thanks so much for including all of us in the fun! Happy Birthday Cole Men!!!