Thursday, March 17, 2011

Looking up..

It's SPRING at the Hoffman House
and
we have CHICKS.
 For those of you following along at home,
 yes there was a time before when we had SEVERAL chicks
and they grew... it was a time that Troy was traveling,


We were trying to manage
2 houses
2 kids
2 50+ hr a week jobs
40 chickens.
+ 1 bunny and
Troy was traveling to Cleveland
while I was mowing 6+ acres at home in Indiana.

We were stressed,tired
frustrated, angry
resentlful, and overwhelmed
To put it honestly, we were strectched to our limit and beyond

About this time in 2010,
On a pretty Spring Day, with ice thawing and two kids in the car
wearing high heel boots and work clothes,
I HAD to go feed the chickens. I slipped.
Landed in a pile of wet, muddy, chicken S**T.

I broke down, called Troy... telling him I couldn't do it.
I remember praying for a way out... I was failing
I hated the demands of my job, how it interfered with my children.
I felt like I had failed as a mom, wife, daughter and friend.
There were never enough hours in the day.

Troy drove home, loaded up all but a few chickens
and the bunny, and we found someone who was willing to take them.
I had never felt so guilty in my entire life.
Yes, I realize they were just chickens,
but they represented the beginning of the realization
that I couldn't do it. I was failing
Our life wasn't working, our marriage wasn't working
and our family wasn't working.

Fast forward one year.
INSERT MAJOR LIFE CHANGE
Troy is home. Different Job.
I am home and truly blessed
 to realize how much I was giving up by working outside the home.
So when chicks came in this year, we bought 10 (not 40)

Sometimes you need to look up to realize you're in too deep.

I love where we are now.
I love the marriage and family we have.
I love that I have time with my children, family and friends.
I love that my husband and I have time to talk.
Thank you God for making me look up.
I was in WAY too deep.

This one is mine. It's name is George. It may be Georgina. We're not sure yet.

2 comments:

lorabelle said...

This is a beautiful post Jen!
Much better than the dream I had last night about Troy inviting us over for Chicken & noodles, or "Chicks" & noodles... LOl
I love you!

Brandi said...

I can completely coincide with this. This time last year, I was having panic attacks about bringing Avery into our caotic world. I love seeing her smiling face in the morning and spending time with her all day. I am glad to hear that you are happier.