Monday, August 16, 2010

Safety and Fun

Being the parent of two beautiful children, there is always that fear in the back of my mind that someone, somewhere is out there lurking that would do them harm. Mix that with my prior occupation and working with cops for many years and I clearly know more horror stories than most. So this weekend, taking both of the kids to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association Family Shoot, it was really fun to see Shelby take an interest in shooting a gun. Cole has been shooting rifles, pistols, throwing hatchets and knives for awhile now and he is REALLY good. He is extremely accurate at very long distances and I am very proud of how safe and careful he is with a gun. He always takes his time and is very careful around others. This was Shelby's first experience and I really thought the noise might bother her, or the gun powder, but it didn't seem to! She was excited to sit with her daddy and shoot just like her brother. Both kids walked away with prizes, Cole's were mostly 1st and 2nd place awards.  I think I will suggest to all of Shelby's first dates that they go to the firing range. That way they at least know she's a good shot before they embark on a real date. I call that dating safety!







No comments: