Monday, August 8, 2011

An Amazing Summer! Pt 1 of who knows!

For those of you who follow along on facebook, I think it looks like we have spent the ENTIRE summer on vacation. Honestly, it FEELS like we have. It feels like I am emptying bags and luggage and repacking every week.  I think the kiddos are looking forward to going back to school just so they can settle into a routine! In less than a week I will have 2 children in school full time. I am refusing to blog about that right now for fear of my mother emotions taking over and I end up blubbering like an idiot.

We left the week after Cole got out of school, loaded the car  and went  to Toronto for 10 days. Daddy, who had to work there for the week was able to join in for some fun time in the evenings and weekend. This would be the kids first exposure to things like a subway, LARGE open markets, and their first official trip out of the country. They were troopers about exploring, finding our way when we got lost and just in general being really relaxed and taking in all the really cool sites! Although Toronto was not on my "Bucket List" of places I wanted to see, I think it is one of the most amazing cities in the world! I am so glad we went.

Toronto is amazingly diverse both ethnically and culturally. It is very interesting to see these groups intertwined in the same restaurants, museums, areas and just on the street. It proved for some great conversation starters and learning moments for both kids.

We enjoyed the CN tower, Casa Loma (A Real Life Castle), The Science Museum, Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and and trip to a wonderful park.  The kiddos were Subway Pros by the end of the week and they were really good at asking for directions. Cole's comment at the end of the week was "Ya know mom, you can find nice people willing to help anywhere." It is my hope that he carries that knowledge his entire life.

On the way home, Border Patrol asked if we had anything to declare. I laughed and said, "Yeah, I have a 5 year old that can't/won't walk in flip flops, an 11 year old that is tired of his little sister, more dirty laundry than I want to deal with, 10 open bags of snacks and lots of left over Canadian coins. Border Patrol boy was not amused.

At the CN Tower



They make a Moose noise when they do this, which I find soooo funny. I doubt others find it that amusing.

Cole was trying to spin her till she puked. What a loving brother!

No comments: